Owen Salomé is an Australian composer, performer and educator.
Owen has had three of his compositions performed by chamber vocal music ensemble Halcyon, including his trio for Mezzo Soprano and Cello, ‘The Queen’, as part of their first stones program, his song ‘Resonance’ for Soprano, Mezzo Soprano and Chamber orchestra with the Kammerklang Orchestra, and his trio ‘Carthusian Silence’ for Mezzo Soprano, Flute and Cello performed with Chronology Arts.
Owen was one of the young composers selected to work with the Song Company as part of their MODART13 program. His piece ‘Blue Beard’s Egg’ for three female voices was performed by the ensemble to critical acclaim.
Owen’s original short tango cabaret ‘Susana Palomita Juanita Maria Elena Rodriguez de la Cruz’, written in collaboration with writer Ella Salome and performed by Tángalo won the 2014 National Folk Festival Song Competition
As composer and sound designer Owen has written for the Australian Tango Festival Orchestra, for the Semicolonbackslash production ‘Landing ‘, premiered at the Sydney and Melbourne Fringe Festivals, and written numerous pieces for Australian and international performers. His music is used by Musica Viva for their in-schools education program, and has featured in short films including ‘Tango Underpants‘.
Owen regularly performs with Tángalo as bandoneonist.
- N.S.W. tour with Tángalo Sextet, (June 2018)
- Summer Hill Folk Festival, Duo Tángalo. (March, 2018)
- Love Tango Milonga, with guitarist Kieran Sawyer, (21 February, 2018).
- Sydney Tango Festival, Avoca Beach Picture Theatre, Australian Tango Festival Orchestra, www.australiantangofestival.com.au (29 September – 2 October, 2017)
- Buenos Aires in the Southern Highlands, Tángalo Sextet, www.tangocanberra.asn.au/bash-2017.html (November 2017)
- Fine Music FM102.5 ‘In Conversation’ with Michael Morton Evans, Australian Tango Festival Orchestra, www.finemusicfm.com/inconversation.html (27 September, 2017)
- Brett Whitehead Gallery, Tángalo Duo, (April 2017)
- Adelaide Festival, Tángalo Sextet, (March 11, 2017)
- Port Macquarie Tango Festival, Tángalo Duo (February 2017).
- City of Sydney at Glebe Town Hall, Tángalo Quintet, (September 2015)
- Joan Sutherland Performing Arts Centre, Tángalo Quintet, (September 2015)
- Bellingen Classical Music Festival, Tángalo Quintet, (September 2015)
- Australian tour, 30 concerts, workshops and live-radio performances, Tángalo and Latin-Grammy Nominated Duo Ramírez-Satorre, (February 2015)
Owen has performed with a number of other ensembles as flautist and guitarist, including: My Sauce Good, Doc Jones and the Lechery Orchestra, The Squeezebox Trio, The Woohoo Revue, the Kammerklang Orchestra, Cafe Sur, the Flirtists.
- Workshop series: Wollongong Con. Community Orchestra (June 2018, July 2016)
- Highschool Tango Music Workshop: Queenwood School, Mosman (May 2018), Scotch College, Hawthorne (2015), Telopea Park School, Canberra (2015), Wodonga Senior Secondary College (2014)
- Tango Music Holiday Workshops: in partnership with Sydney Tango House (www.sydneytangohouse.com), (16-19 April, 2018)
- Flute Tutor: Randwick Public School (2016- current), Annandale North Public School (2015 – present), Newtown Public School, Newtown (2013 – 2016), Bondi Public School (2016), Montessori East (2016), Ferncourt Primary School, Marrickville (May 2013 – 2015), Gordon West Public School (2015), Lindfield Public School (2015), International Bilingual School (2012-2013).
- Bandcamp Flute Tutor: Annandale North Public School (since 2014), Lindfield Public School (2016-2017), Inner City Montessori School (2015, 2016), Randwick Public School (2015-2018) Strathfield Girls High-school (2013), Homebush Boys High-school (2013)
Owen holds a current Working With Children Certificate: WWC0760853E